1. The Toronto Mozart Vocal Competition is open to emerging singers of all voice types trained or in training between the ages of 18-35.
2. The 2021-2022 Toronto Mozart Vocal Competition will be held on-line. Participants submit recorded video of performances for viewing in virtual masterclasses as a starting point for immediate feedback and real-time instruction.
3. Applications must be received by midnight on
Sunday January 2, 2022 Sunday January 16, 2022.
4. Candidates will be invited to perform in the Competition which will take place online on Friday January 28, Saturday January 29 and Sunday January 30, 2022. Round One of master classes with David Bowser will take place over two days on Friday between 6:00 pm and 9:00 pm EST and on Saturday between 10:00 am and 8:00 pm EST. Round Two of master classes with Nathalie Paulin will take place on Sunday between 2:00 pm and 6:00 pm EST.
5. Participants selected for Round Two will be notified by email and/or text message on Saturday, January 29, 2022, after Round One is completed.
6. The names of the singers selected for scholarship awards and concert performance will be announced and posted on the Mozart Project website on or before Wednesday February 2, 2022.
7. The scholarship recipients will perform as soloists in a virtual recital performance in March 2022 presented by the Mozart Project.
8. First prize winner of the Competition receives a $1000 scholarship award.
9. After the application deadline, Competition participants will be notified of the time of their performance in Round One on Friday January 28 or Saturday January 29 and will receive full details and directions to access the Competition virtual platform.
10. Participants must video record three Mozart arias (opera, sacred, or concert) in their original keys OR two Mozart arias (opera, sacred, or concert) in their original keys AND one lied, song or chanson by Mozart. Videos of performances must be submitted with the online application form on the Mozart Project website.
11. Participants must provide PDF copies of their music with their online application.
12. Each participant will be allotted 20 minutes in total for Round One and 25-30 minutes in total for Round Two. The participant’s videos of performed works will be played as selected by the instructor, with immediate feedback followed by real-time virtual masterclass for the remaining time.
13. For performance videos, participants may work with an accompanist or perform with a pre-recorded accompaniment depending on circumstances and government directives relating to the COVID-19 pandemic.
14. The Competition organizers must receive the online completed application form, inclusive of three performance videos, PDF’s of performed music, curriculum vitae and headshot, and the $50 CAD entry fee no later than midnight on Sunday January 2 2022 with the application because the deadline was extended. Incomplete or illegible forms will not be accepted.
15. The entry fee is neither refundable nor transferable if the participant withdraws from the Competition.
16. Participants must sign onto the online platform at least 20 minutes before their assigned performance time.
17. No cameras or recording devices, or online recording, are permitted at the Competition.
18. All results and decisions made by the instructors are final.
19. Any presentation or performance during the competition master classes, rehearsals, online and virtual presentations and at public concerts may be recorded and/or photographed by the Mozart Project for the exclusive use of the Mozart Project. All such material shall become the property of the
Mozart Project and may be used subsequently for advertising and promotion, on the Mozart Project website, in press releases, and for archival records, for the purpose of promoting the Toronto Mozart Vocal Competition and the Toronto Mozart Players, without compensation to the participants.
20. By agreeing to the Rules, the participant confirms that no compensation will be paid for release from other engagements or for performances by the Toronto Mozart Players.
21. The Mozart Project reserves the right to postpone or cancel the Toronto Mozart Vocal Competition.
22. The Competition reserves the right not to award scholarships or performance opportunities.
23. The Mozart Project will not be responsible for personal injury, damage to personal property, or any other losses during competition master classes, rehearsals, or concerts.
24. Payment of the $50 entry fee must be made at the time of application:
- online at the Mozart Project website OR
- electronic transfer, emailed to email@example.com OR
- by cheque payable to Mozart Project and mailed to:
Toronto Mozart Vocal Competition
33 Lombard Street, Suite 1509
Toronto, Ontario M5C 3H8
administration charge of $25 will be applied for a cheque returned NSF by the
25. The Toronto Mozart Vocal Competition and the Toronto Mozart Players are operated exclusively by the Mozart Project, a registered charitable organization. Any questions about these Rules and Regulations or about the Competition may be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications for the 2021 – 2022 Toronto Mozart Vocal Competition are now closed